If you asked B if he liked kindergarten, he'd immediately turn on his grumpy attitude and say "no, I don't like it." Luckily mom can see through the convincing grumpies and know that once he's at school he skips away and comes home excitedly telling all that he did that day, and that "I don't like kindergarten" in his low sad voice.
When asking about friends or other kids in the class, the first week's results was that all the boys were named "B" and all the girls named Aubrey (his friend from church in his class that sits next to him). During the 2nd week though he'd mentioned two other boy names, Devin (several times) and Gabe (once) though very casually. Th of the 2nd week he asked if he could play at Devin's house. I had to soften it a bit in that we should probably invite him to our house first, but was excited he'd made a friend in class! So we made a card for him, B giving me the instructions of what was needed and how he could do it. B insisted that I write too so that his dad (vs mom as I had said) would know too because that's who brings him to school, so I agreed. After all we've never met! So we made it short and sweet but included our phone number. He took it to school Friday and made it until Saturday before he asked when Devin would be coming....no phone call yet.
The next Tues it was Benjamin's turn to take treats for his birthday and I was anxious to meet his new friend Devin as I was bringing in the cupcakes. Then it was confirmed, Devin has Downsyndrome and sits at the same table as B. It was so touching to think of what that little card and innocent invitation must have meant to Devin and his family. And of all the kids in his class to have Devin make the biggest impression on B.
At Back to School Night that week we were able to meet Devin's mom who was understandably anxious to see who this boy B was. Emotions were high and she and her family were so touched for B's reaching out to Devin. They were not sure that having Devin at this school was going to work out, but now feel like it has been a good choice. With both the boys new to full-day kindergarten and Saturdays busy, but we are both looking forward to planning a playdate for them soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment